It’s summertime and many people, especially runners, will be taking their routine outside. You’ll definitely torch calories and get a good sweat in this New Orleans heat. Keep in mind though that hot weather adds more stress on the body so make sure to practice your outdoor workouts safely. Here are a few tips when taking to the heat.
1) HYDRATE LIKE CRAZY – This is the obvious number one rule in any workout but especially important during outdoor workouts. The heat and humidity will add extra stress on your body and in turn, you’ll sweat even more. The more you sweat, the more fluid you’ll lose so it is extremely important to drink water before, during and after your outdoor workouts. To be extra safe, start drinking water an hour before your outdoor challenge.
2) PICK A TIME – You don’t have to perform your outdoor workouts during the hottest time of the day. Aim for exercising during early morning or evening hours as those will probably be the safest times.
3) AVOID REALLY HOT DAYS – This goes hand in hand with the previous tip. If it is an extremely hot temperature such as 91 or above, reconsider exercising outside at this temperature or again, bring your exercise inside to the Parks on those days. We’ll be happy to help!
4) DECREASE THE INTENSITY – It’s going to be a scorching summer so save the high intense outdoor workouts for the indoors. You can always perform a shorter, less intense routine outside just to be on the safe side. If you’re determined to do high intensity outside, try it on another day.
5) TAKE LONGER BREAKS – Whatever routine you have planned, take longer rests between exercises. Give your body enough time to recover and allow your heart-rate to come down safely. Try to rest under the shade as well. Be safe out there!