Listen to Popeye, Eat Yours Greens
Mom always said “You can’t leave the table till you eat your vegetables”. Research shows that we should have listened to our mom and we should eat our greens. Incorporate these listed foods into your diet and relish in the bountiful health benefits.
1. Arugula—4 calories per cup; very low in calories, fat and cholesterol, but loaded with fiber; vitamin A, C and K, and potassium
2. Asparagus—27 calories per cup; known to detoxify, this food acts as a natural diuretic, a great hangover remedy because it speeds up metabolism of alcohol.
3. Broccoli—34 calories per cup; packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals and powerful antioxidants, and can improve your odds against breast and colon cancer.
4. Brussels Sprouts—38 calories per cup; loaded with fiber and cancer preventing phytonutrients.
5. Romaine Lettuce—5 calories per cup; great source of folic acid, B vitamins, and manganese, which helps regulate blood sugar and proper immune function.
6. Zucchini—20 calories per cup; packed with vitamin A, an ultimate high volume food—meaning you will fill up on few calories.
7. Spinach—7 calories per cup; rich in iron, folic acid, vitamin K and C. Also, contains antioxidants and beta-carotenes.
8. Kale—5 calories per cup; loaded with a variety of cancer-preventing phytonutrients, great source of vitamin B, folic acid and manganese.
9. Limes—20 calories per fruit (without peel); eaten whole great source of fiber, loaded with vitamin C, and add flavor to foods without the extra calories.
10. Celery—16 calories per cup; high volume food, packed with fiber, contains vitamin A, C and folate (crucial for healthy pregnancy.)
By: Kristie Andres
Listen to Popeye, Eat Your Greens
* Nutritional information according to www.health.com, “30 Foods Under 40 Calories”.