Not the suit-and-tie type of guy, David Jamason loves that he gets to wear sneakers to work every day. David, the general manager of The Parks, says he loves being able to help people live a healthy lifestyle.
• Born in New York City, David moved to San Juan, Puerto Rico at age 10, and later to Gainesville, Florida.
• He received his bachelors in history at the University of Florida.
• A long time friend of the Rice family and having worked for them prior in Alabama, when David heard about The Parks opening he knew he couldn’t miss the opportunity to be part of it.
• On his free time he satisfies his sense of adventure by exploring New Orleans. He enjoys visiting museums, partaking in festival festivities, indulging in New Orleans’ signature southern dishes and burning the calories off when he runs along the lakefront.
• To unwind after work, David enjoys getting lost in great historical non-fiction—particularly civil war stories.
You’ll usually find David behind the front desk wearing a big smile. “I love being on the administration side of the gym because I get to help people make the decision to do it. If I can influence somebody to sign up and change their life, that makes me feel good.” He said.
Jorge Burke is a personal testament to how fitness can change your life. Today he is in the best shape of his life with an athletic 7 percent body fat, but six years ago he was 60 pounds overweight. Since, he has spent the last 6 years undergoing a major lifestyle change for better health.
• Born in New Orleans, he attended East Jefferson High School from 01-05.
• After graduating from ITT Technical Institute in St Rose, LA in Computer Aid Drafting, Jorge worked for a naval architect company before realizing his passion for fitness.
• Jorge obtained a certification as a personal trainer through NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine) and began training clients in October 2011, then in early 2012 moved to Dallas, TX with his wife to further their careers. They later decided that New Orleans was home and couldn’t live without it.
“In the beginning it was hard because I had no direction,” Jorge explains. “As soon as I incorporated nutrition with proper training I saw results and was completely motivated to get certified and share my experience with others.” He was inducted as a Parks personal trainer in January 2013.
Massage Therapists and Yoga Teacher
Kelly Slanina, one of our massage therapists and yoga teachers, has been here since The Parks opened and loves being in a profession where she can help others live to their fullest health potential and relax.
• She was born in Washington D.C., and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where she graduated from Shaler Area High School.
• She received her Yoga Teacher Certification from Yogi Hari Ashram in Florida.
• As a licensed esthetician in Florida, she worked at and then owned the Abundant Health Day Spa in New Smyrna Beach, Florida.
• She received her Massage Therapy license from Blue Cliff College and was awarded for Outstanding Achievement, in the field of massage therapy, Exceptional Dedication and Perfect Attendance and was an Honor Graduate.
• In her free time Kelly enjoys spending time with her 4 daughters and friends; she also loves attending music festivals and writing short stories, poems and essays in the writing circle of women she is a member of.
The thing Kelly enjoys most about practicing her passion for massage and yoga here at the Parks is being a part of the most innovative and friendly team.
Our high energy Fitness Director, Josh Serean has been a fun and exciting addition to The Parks Health & Fitness Family. Josh’s says “My passion for fitness started as an overweight kid and grew into a fulfilling career. My first introduction to a gym was as a 13 year old kid when I was too overweight to play peewee football. Right away I was hooked, I learned quickly how fitness could not only make me physically healthy but help me become stronger mentally.”
• Born: Chalmette, LA. He attended Chalmette High School and the went on to graduate in 2015 from Delgado community College with an Associates of Science in Dietetics.
• In 2011 he became a certified personal trainer from NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine). He also is currently a TRX certified trainer, USA Weightlifting Sports Performance Coach, and NCCPT as a certified personal trainer.
• In his free time he likes to cook. He also likes to train for competitive strength events like power lifting and Olympic lifting.